Saturday, March 8, 2008

It's a Small World



On February 17 we were visited by Professor Frédéric Hammann of the Reformed Seminary in Aix-en-Provence. After hearing a bit about the seminary which I shared in an earlier post, it was great to hear from someone at the seminary. Below I’ve included his remarks from the service.

It is a pleasure and a privilege for me to be here and to share in this worship with you.

I bring with me warm greetings from my colleagues at the Reformed Seminary in Aix-en-Provence and, of course, from my wife and our two little children.

I am very grateful to you for all you have done for our Seminary, and especially for the James Montgomery Boice Chair of Practical Theology, in the past, in the last months and for what you are planning to do this year in the context of your special Campaign.

You know, your support is very important and means a lot for us. It is the first time I come to the US and I am deeply moved with all what I see. I knew that you had interest in our French situation, but now I see how concrete it is, and it’s wonderful to discover the reality of such a fellowship in Christ.

As Reformed Evangelical Christians in France, we are a small minority within a minority! Protestant people, all together, represent about 2% of all the population living in France. And so you can understand how important it is for us to know that we are not alone in the ministry God gave us. Every day is a struggle for us. But we see the faithfulness of God, and the power of His promises as we persevere in our Christian walk.

Our students are a source of great motivation for us. They really want to serve the Lord, they love the Gospel, they love the truth and they want to speak it to the people around them, whomever they may be and wherever it might be. So it is a daily stimulation for us to try to find the proper articulation between theological education and spiritual formation. Both have to be closely linked together.

As the occupant of the James Montgomery Boice chair of practical theology, I am the coordinator of the program for practical theology, though we are several in the department. I personally give, (1) an introductory course to practical theology (where I show the unity and the coherence of all aspects of the life of the Church, of her unique ministry); I also teach (2) homiletics (preaching) and (3) pastoral care (counselling).

I have to recognize that, in this teaching ministry, I use a great deal of material / books which come from here, especially from Westminster Seminary. And I hope and pray that, one day, we’ll have good Reformed books in French too. We have work for the future!

Again, thank you for your invitation, and thank you very much for your support.
May God bless you.